Saturday, March 26, 2011

What I don't always understand: The fear of God

Y'know, how it says in the Bible, that we need to fear God?

Sometimes i'm afraid I don't.

Y'know, when I do a little thing like tell a little white lie, or make fun of someone- even if i'm joking. Times when I blatantly do things God has told me not to, and just thing, "It's ok, God will forgive me."

Fact: God DOES forgive. Time and time again. Praise Jesus. because otherwise, I would be screwed.

Also Fact: The fear of God- literally, respecting Him and honoring Him so much that we feel a need to honor Him is also important.

Now, usually I stick to the theology that if you ask Jesus for forgiveness, you are forgiven no matter what, and obeying Him comes from your love for Him. Usually.

But when it comes to talking about the fear of God, that doesn't work. Because the fact is, I should want to follow God simply because He is, well, God. His ways are bigger than mine, brighter than mine, and much more righteous than mine.

Here's something we don't think about- God could off us at any second. He literally is so powerful that He could snap and we would die.
That's scary.
And we say things like, "He would never do that, He loves us."
That is very true.
But God is not "tame". (I'm thinking of Aslan from Narnia right now). He is not limited by our understanding of Him. What He does is right, because it cannot be wrong. Think about it. He could kill us- or worse, send us to hell.

Once again, I believe i'm forgiven and going to Heaven (Thank you lord!)
But i'm sick of letting that give me license to sin. I really want to understand this whole "fear of God" thing better.

I'm praying you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment