Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What i've learned: Affirmation is incredibly important


The mouth is a powerful thing. The Bible talks about it- mostly in James, but I'm not going to quote it here. It has the power to give life, and the power to bring death.

A quiet kid is made fun of at school. When they get home, their parents tell them that they should try to be more popular, have more friends, fit in. They basically tell their kids they aren't good enough.
A quiet kid is made fun of a school. When they get home, their parents tell them that they
shouldn't listen to their classmates. They are beautiful and perfect, and God loves them to death.
Which kid will be more successful in life?
The tongue has the power of life and death.

Tonight I want to focus on the life part. I didn't really know what this post was gonna be on (so close to talking about youth again, shoot!) But then my cousin texted me some awesome words of encouragement. And I thought about how incredibly impactful positive words can be. When I was a kid, I was super shy. Then, somehow, God called me to be a youth pastor. I thought there was no way this would happen. But then I started spending time with really, really great people. My youth pastor, my youth leaders, and some other people told me things like, "I believe in you," "I am proud of you".... my youth pastor gave all of the seniors in my graduating class the book "Oh the places you'll go" by Dr. Seuss. On the inside of mine he wrote,
Tiffany and I are so proud of you and the young man you've become. God's call is so evident on your life, continue to seek His will and you'll never be disappointed. We love you.
That was a big deal to me. Heck, I still have the book and read it often. All of the encouraging words that people give me are so important, they remind me that God is still working in my life, and that I may occasionally being doing life right.

So what I want to encourage you to do is be the person who says encouraging things. Man, we have the power to take someone's horrible day and put a little hope and love in it, simply by saying a couple of words. Compliment their appearance, or something you noticed them doing, or the way they lead- make sure it's true, of course- but be looking out for things you can say to show others love. It is an amazing way to show the love of Christ. And it could be your words that directs them into an incredible future. If my youth pastor and leaders never said those things to me, I would never have gotten this far. The same could be true for the kid sitting next to you in class, or that awkward guy at work. Just sayin.

SPEAK LIFE.
Also, if you get a sec... listen to relentless by audrye sessions. It's incredibly life giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment