Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What i've learned: Superman isn't real- neither is Hogwarts

The first time that I read Harry Potter, my mind was blown. I loved the world that J.K. Rowling created- I loved the people, the places, the magic. Call me a bad Christian, but Harry Potter is the best series ever.
To be honest, I half convinced myself that Hogwarts (the wizard school that Harry goes to) was real. I half hoped that when I turned 11, I would get a letter from Hogwarts telling me I was accepted.

I didn't.

And while this little let-down of reality was only as serious as the realization that Santa isn't real, it just serves as an example of how growing up makes you face a reality you don't always want to. Like, for example, the fact that none of your childhood heroes are perfect.
When I was a kid, I thought my dad could do anything. I felt so safe around him. I remember he used to lay on the couch, and I would sit at his feet. It was my safe place.
But then I grew up. I still love my dad, and I still value his experience (he's great with cars. I'm really thankful for that) But now I know that he isn't perfect, that he doesn't know everything.
The same goes with other "heroes" in my life. I always thought that they would always be there, lovingly and wisely looking over me, making sure I never got hurt. But that's not reality! Yes, they love me, but the truth is there are some problems in my life that only I can deal with. Yes, people can help me through them, and love me through them, but it's up to ME to handle them. Superman can't save me- only I can.
Here I will say, of course, that Jesus is the only real Super hero. He really CAN help you through anything- but you still need to take some ownership.
So, simply put, I have learned that you cannot wait for your heroes to save you. You have to stand up for yourselves sometimes. God will always be there for you, of course- but you need to take the initiative and start to work on your problems. PRAY- but don't be afraid to take action. BAM.

No comments:

Post a Comment