Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What i've learned: Authority

I heard a really super quote today in class-
"authority is directly proportional to relationship".

Now I know i've already talked about how it helps to know someone when trying to give them advice, but I want to talk specifically about authority right now.
If authority is proportional to relationship, then does someone in a position of authority over you really have any authority if they don't know you personally?
And what makes you owe someone authority over you- is it simply a title, or is it a relationship?
I mean, I don't know the president, but he is in a position of authority over me- or is he? By himself, he has no authority over me. Even the president of my school by himself has no authority over me outside of the rules and regulations of the institution.
Who, then, has authority over me? God? Yes- He knew me since birth, and because I desire relationship with Him, I cede authority to Him.
My parents? Yes, in a sense. God tells me to respect them, and I do my best.
My Youth Pastor, Jeff? Yes, I respect and love him, and his opinion matters deeply to me.
Jon Sanchez? Yes, I believe that the input he has in my life is of the utmost value.
Jeramy and Nick? Of course, I love these guys, they've seen me through so much.
Roy? Yeah, he's a great guy. But also-
well, Roy is the one case of authority in my life where I need to give him authority because of his title more than anything else. I work under him in a ministry. I have no choice but to obey him, unless I want to quit Fusion. Now, Roy is fantastic- but if he wasn't, would I still be expected to honor him and listen to him? What if he totally screwed up the youth group?
In Romans 13:1, it says, "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established."
When I read that I realize I have no choice BUT to listen to Roy, even if he makes me super angry. Actually, I realize that about all of the authority in my life. God has put it there to help me grow and develop into a better person and leader.
So, think about it guys, are you respecting your authority? Because they are all there for a purpose- even the bad ones.

And for all of you Obama bashers out there.... way to be unbiblical ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment